To break through the noise, TBS and VaynerMedia constructed a marketing campaign that would loudly comment on said “noise.” Leveraging Angie Tribeca’s self-serious, satirical tone, and drawing on the modern-day tropes of TV marketing and viewer consumption habits, the first-ever 25 Hour Binge-A-Thon was born.
Playing to the satire of the show and recognizing the mass scale this campaign needed, VaynerMedia and TBS engineered a multi-pronged approach, balancing breadth (cross-platform storytelling at scale) with depth (witty, sharable content and custom one-to-one interactions) around a 25-hour live telethon (first 6 hours were live on linear television, all 25 hours were live across social). Support included:
- On-air social media integration throughout the television Binge-A-Thon that engaged audiences and amplified the “event-like” nature of the event.
- Facebook Live content that gave the audience a deeper connection with the TBS brand via live comedic police interrogations between social media influencers and TBS talent (including stars of Angie Tribeca, The Detour, and People of Earth).
- Buzz from 16 social influencers to help fuel the binge and incite conversation leading up to and throughout the 25-hour event.
- More than 2,200 pieces of real-time, customized content created and distributed over the course of the 25-hour event.
- Targeted content amplified by paid media support, leveraging emerging ad products (e.g. Angie Tribeca Snapchat geofilter deployed on college campuses)
- “Binge box” survival kits sent to influencers and fans leading up to the event bringing on-line to off-line.
- 15.5MM viewers on linear television during 25-hour marathon.
- Mass awareness across social: 112.5MM impressions and 5.9MM engagements
- Trended across Twitter nationally for more than four hours, peaking at #2 spot.
- A Nielsen brand study with Facebook showed significant lift in ad recall (20%), show awareness (8%) and self-reported tune-in (6%).